Monday, December 13, 2010

Holiday Highlights Part 1

Part I of Holiday Highlights: Thanksgiving Dinner

This is long overdue but I wanted to highlight some of the thanksgiving dishes that were part of our spread. Keep in mind this is only a few select dishes from the endless menu that was prepared. Most of you know that I am not a "southern" cook, however, I enjoyed learning how to prepare some of these traditional home cooked recipes from Hunter's grandmother. I realize the gift she gave me by teaching and passing down her recipes. These are some of my favorite moments with family, especially when the joy of cooking is shared from generation to generation.

Thanksgiving Dinner 2010:


Oven Roasted Turkey


Baked Sweet Potato Casserole (with extra sugar because it was SWEET!)


Creamy Whipped Potatoes and Seasoned Southern Collards


Oyster Stuffing and Traditional Stuffing


Homemade Corn Bread


Deviled Eggs with Green and Black Olives


Dessert: Pumpkin Spice Cake Sprinkled with Powdered Sugar


I love this picture. It is beautiful to watch the work of her hands.


This is Granny Ruby. She shares a love for cooking and working in the kitchen as I do. We talked about food all day long and discussed various recipes. I particularly was fascinated by her knowledge of growing her own foods. I also learned how to can and freeze summer foods for the winter. I look forward to putting this knowledge into practice.

The food was delicious as always and the family time was memorable. I hope you get to reflect over your time spent with family this holiday season and value the conversations, laughter, and experiences shared.

Watch out for Holiday Highlights Part II: Christmas Dinner...Coming Soon!


Happy Holidays!
Little Chef-titian

No comments:

Post a Comment