Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Cooking Charleston

Recently I visited one of the infamous cities of the south...Charleston! The historic district was quaint, charming, and inviting. Among the cobblestone streets were beautiful dainty homes, neighborhood coffee shops, and hidden culinary gems! I found this place to be fascinating and cozy at the same time. I had heard from many that the cuisine in Charleston is exquisite so as you can imagine I was thrilled to explore all that it had to offer.

To my delight I enjoyed everything from a thin crusted pizza with fresh vegetables and a red table wine, french cuisine that offered a succulent fish dish that was buttery and delicious, and an organic lunch haven where the mixed greens were "green". Every flavor that you craved was met here and more! All of these were delicious but the dish that represents Charleston was a local favorite, Shrimp and Grits. I enjoyed this dish at 82 Queen. A restaurant that was the epitome of Charleston. From the menu, to the wait staff, and the outdoor garden dining area, the southern charm and elegance dripped from this restaurant.

As I remember this culinary experience, I can only think of the shrimp and grits that stole my heart. In wanting to recreate these flavors for my husband so he can get a taste of Charleston, I made shrimp and grits for dinner.

The flavors are rich from the barbecue shrimp, bacon, and Monterey jack cheese but balanced by the bright green onions and smooth grits. I found that the grits were the canvas for this dish. I didn't feel the need to overpower them with extra butter or salt.

Needless to say, I was pleased with the outcome. My house smelled of Charleston and my husband LOVED this dish!



Hope that you savor your memories from various parts of the country or world. Enjoy them again and again at home by recreating your favorite flavors!

Happy Cooking!
Little Chef-titian

2 comments:

  1. My favorite part about this post was that I'm not a fan of shrimp... or grits... but just by looking at the pictures I was saying 'yum' outloud. Ha! Jenna, I'm so proud of you & can't wait to see where all these cooking experiments land you in years to come. When you finally open that killer restaurant, you better have a table reserved with my name on it.

    -KATY B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Definitely! The cook book may come before the restaurant :)

    ReplyDelete