Saturday, November 20, 2010

Comforting and Delicious!

As the winter months roll in, I enjoy preparing food that is hearty, flavorful and comforting. In contrast with most people's thinking, you do not have to spoil your entire day or week of healthy eating on one comforting meal. Below is an example of comfort food that is still healthy, affordable and quick.

Individual Italian Meatloaf
with Mashed Baby Red Potatoes and Green Peas



I was originally going to make a traditional meatloaf but decided against that option due to the amount of time (1 hour) of cooking time. We had a busy night and needed to get dinner on the table ASAP so I opted to make individual meatloaves using the muffin pan. They cooked in 17 minutes on 350 degrees. They were moist and very flavorful. I was very pleased with the time and the quality of this meal.

Using ground turkey, frozen peas and fresh potatoes this meal remained light. I only added skim milk, fat free sour cream, and less than a 1/4 cup of butter for all 3 pound of mashed potatoes . This allows for a creamy and comfort heaping of mashed potatoes without the calories and fat.

Italian Turkey Meatloaf Recipe:

A Variety of Meatloaf Recipes:

I hope that you try this recipe or will be inspired to try one of the other types of meatloaf's listed above as well as cook comfort food that doesn't break your calorie bank!

Happy Cooking!
Little-Cheftitian

1 comment:

  1. I use cream cheese and no butter at all when I do mashed potatoes. Mine end up fat free and my gravy is usually fat free too

    ReplyDelete