Tuesday, July 20, 2010

New Wine Finds!

Ever since my summer in Italy I now appreciate a good red wine. One of my favorite things to do during my time in Italy was going to the a local wine shop and mulling over the various blends. The prices were so affordable and the quality was the best. I often chose a smooth chianti or a red table wine. Recently I have came across a few wines that I thought were tasty and affordable. FYI, these are not the top of the line by any means but for the price, it was a deal!

Top Pick: Cellar No.8 Pinot Noir ($10)


This California wine is smooth. I love that I could taste the hints of fruit without it being too sweet. This is one of my new favorites!















Second Pick: Smooking Loon Pinot Noir ($9)




It was still pretty smooth and embodied a decent balance of flavors. Definitly worth buying when watching your budget!












Third Pick: Jargon Pinot Noir ($8)



This was worth a shot, the label was cool (however they say never purchase for that reason) but probably wouldn't buy unless I wanted a cheap bottle. Still not bad for the price, but I would rather pay a few extra dollars for the top 2 picks!









All red wines offer some great health benefits. They provide antioxidants that help fight off free radicals (disease causing agents) as well as boost cardiovascular health. However, the recommendations for women are one 5 ounce glass and for men two 5 ounce glasses. It's important to note that if consumed in larger amounts the health benefits are outweighed by the negative health effects.

Heres a nutrition fact, alcohol is considered to have 7 calories per gram. Where carbohydrates and protein have 4 calories per gram and fat has 9 calories per gram.

Alcohol Calorie Calculation:
Calories = Oz of alcohol x Proof(25 for wine) x 0.8 kcal/proof/1 oz
Calories = 5 oz of wine x 25 x 0.8
Calories = 100

This equation will work for all types of alcohol. Just be sure to plug in the right proof.

Happy Sipping!
Little Chef-titian

No comments:

Post a Comment